高一英语第十九单元
⒍To everyone’s surprise, Mr. King refused. 使每个人感到惊奇的是,金先生拒绝了。
to one’s surprise / to the surprise of sb.意思是“使某人惊奇的是”,例如:
To their surprise, they saw not locusts this time, but seagulls. 令他们吃惊的是,他们这次看到的不是蝗虫,而是海鸥。
To the surprise of the young couple, they found the necklace missing. 使这对年青夫妇吃惊的是,他们发现项链不见了。
类似的表达方式还有:to one’s job / to the joy of sb.使某人高兴的是
to one’s delight / to the delight of sb. 使某人高兴的是,to one’s sorrow / to the sorrow of sb.使某人悲伤的是,例如:
To the sorrow of the family, the house was completely destroyed by the fire. 使全家人伤心的是,房子被大火全部烧毁了。
⒎Unless you tell me, I shall not be able to help you. 如果你不告诉我,我就不会帮助你。
unless是从属连词,引导条件状语从句,作“除非”,“如果不”解,例如:
Don’t come in unless I call you. 如果我不叫你,你就不要进来。
You will fail in French unless you work harder. 你要是不再加把劲儿,法语考试就不及格了。
One cannot learn English well unless he works hard. 除非下苦功夫,否则英语是学不好的。/ 如果不下苦功夫,英语是学不好的。
⒏But I had to lie to the company and pretend to be a man in order to get a job. 但是,为了得到一份工作,我不得不向公司撒谎并装成一个男人。
⑴lie是不及物动词,意思是“说谎”,是规则动词,它与lie(躺)是同形而不同意,后者是不规则动词。要注意它们之间的区别,如:lie(说谎)过去式,过去分词和现在分词分别是lied, lied, lying;lie(躺)过去式,过去分词和现在分词,分别是lay, lain, lying。另外,还有一个动词,lay(置放)过去式,过去分词和现在分词是laid, laid, laying。
⑵pretend是及物动词,作“假装”解,例如:
She pretended that she was not at home when we rang the doorbell. (= She pretended not to be at home when we rang the doorbell.)我们按门铃时,她假装不在家。
When the teacher came in, they pretended that they were reading English. (= When the teacher came in, they pretended to be reading English.)当老师进来的时候,他们假装正在读英语。
He pretended to be ill yesterday and did not go to school. 昨天,他装病,没有去上学。
⒐He called at the hospital after work to find out whether Mr. King was better. 下班后,他就来医院探望,看看金先生是否好些了。
⑴call at…意思是“访问(某家,某地)”,call on sb.意思是“访问,拜访某人”,例如:
I really don’t want her to call at your house. 我真的不想让她到你家去拜访。
Yesterday afternoon I went to call on an old friend of mine. 昨天下午,我去拜访了我的一位老朋友。
I’ll call at your office next Monday. 下周一,我要到你办公室去看你。
⑵find out作“搞清楚”,“弄明白”,“了解”,“打听”解,表示通过研究,调查,观察找出原因或秘密等。而find则表示“找到”,“发现”的意思。例如:
You’d better go and find out when the meeting will begin.
你最好去搞清楚会议什么时候开始。
Can you find out his telephone number for me?你能帮我打听一下他的电话号码吗?
I’ll try my best to find out the truth of it. 我会尽力弄清楚事实真相的。
He work up and found himself in hospital. 他醒来发觉自己在医院里。
When we came back www.xuehuiba.com
,we found her asleep on the sofa. 我们回来时,发现她在沙发上睡着了。
Have you found the bike that you lost last month? 你已经找到上个月丢的那辆自行车了吗?
⒑I don’t agree with your decision. 我不同意你的决定。
⑴agree with… 作“同意”,“赞同”解,通常后边接人或表示某人的意见,想法,看法,观点,决定等词。例如:
I really hope you will agree with me on / about this matter.
关于这件事,我真的希望你会同意我的看法。
Do you agree with me / my views on this problem?
你同意你对这个问题的看法吗?
I do not agree with what you said at the meeting yesterday.
我不同意你昨天在会上所说的那些话。
⑵agree to sth.作“同意”,“赞成”解,后面通常接表示,“计划”,“安排”,“建议”等词,例如:
I completely agree to your proposal. 我完全同意你的建议。
I don’t think he will agree to this arrangement. 我认为,他不会赞成这个安排的。
⑶agree on sth.意思是“对…取得一致意见”或“达成共识”,例如:
We all agree on an early start tomorrow morning. 我们一致赞成明天早上早些动身。
They agreed on the date for the next meeting. 他们对下次会议的日期达成一致意见。